Subject: Business Information Systems
– Recommended textbook for the subject: Laudon & Laudon (2014) Management Information Systems: Managing the Digital Firm, 13th Edition. Pearson. ISBN 978-0-13-305069-1 (CHAPTERS 1 & 2)
– Answer the following essay questions:
1. Looking at an information system, what are the management, organization, and technology components?
2. How can complementary assets be beneficial for an organization from the standpoint of productivity?
3. Compare the similarities and differences between MIS, DSS, TPS and ESS systems.
4. Describe how a current organization uses social systems to help with the productivity output of a firm.
5. What are the differences between intranets and extranets? Why would an organization want both of these implemented within their organization?
6. Read the case study, “Should Companies Embrace Social Business?” on page 75 of the textbook. Prepare your definition of the uses of a social network from a personal standpoint, as well as professional standpoint. Do you believe in the use of social networks from within an organization? What impact do you personally feel that it can have on the productivity of an organization and why?